Reciprocity of Licensing and Registration - Radiation Control Program

Table of Contents


Reciprocity, also known as reciprocal recognition, is a required authorization to perform licensed activities in Texas for any person who holds a valid specific radioactive material license or certificate of registration. The license must be from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, or any other agreement state or licensing state from the jurisdiction where you maintain an office and conduct the licensed activity.

In other words, we will accept or recognize a license or certificate of registration from another jurisdiction as meeting our licensing/registration requirements and allow the licensee/registrant to work in Texas once all the following requirements are met.

Radioactive Materials Licensing (RAM) Reciprocity Licensing

Do not wait until the last minute to request reciprocity. If you know you have a job in Texas give yourself, and us, enough time to process your request. We are aware that there are situations in which the time between the notification of a job and start date of a job is short. We will try to process your request, in as timely a manner as possible.

To help us process your request quickly, be sure to include all of the following information and submit it together. Where to mail info.

  • Prior to initially working in Texas under a radioactive materials reciprocal recognition under Title 25 Texas Administrative Code §289.252(ee), complete the RC Form 252-5 RAM Reciprocity Application form;
  • Along with the completed application form, submit a Check or money order for the appropriate fee, in accordance with Title 25 Texas Administrative Code Chapter §289.204. The reciprocity fee is equal to what is charged Texas licensee's authorized for the same use;
  • A copy of a valid license or certificate of registration which authorizes the use of radioactive material/radiation machines at temporary job sites;
  • Current operating, safety and emergency procedures used to establish your license or registration; and
  • Complete the front and back of the RC 252-1, Business Information Form (PDF, 54KB) being sure to sign the front.

    Once we have issued you a letter approving of the reciprocal recognition of your license, valid for two years, you may submit the Notification of intent to Work in Texas form.
  • Licensee/registrant is required to notify this Agency three days prior to entering Texas by completing and submitting the RC 252-3, Notification of Intent to Work in Texas Form (PDF, 306KB). This form can be faxed if details of the job are not known at the time of application.

X-Ray Reciprocity Registration

The request for X-ray reciprocity shall include the following:

  1. Completed RC 226-01 Business Information Form - Registration
  2. Completed RC 226-04 Industrial Radiation Machine Application - New, Reciprocity, & Renewal
  3. Completed Notice of Intent to Work in Texas under Reciprocity form (see below)
  4. Qualifying to work as an Industrial Radiographer in Texas under reciprocity
  5. Copy of the applicant’s current certificate of registration or equivalent document;
  6. Copy of the applicant’s current operating and safety procedures pertinent to the proposed use;
  7. Fee as specified in Title 25 Texas Administrative Code, §289.204(d); and

Send the above packet to:

Texas Department of State Health Services
Radiation Machine Source Unit
Mail Code 2003
PO Box 149347
Austin TX 78714-9347

Once reciprocity is granted, the out of state registrant shall submit the appropriate form below at least 3 days prior to each entry into the state:

If the 3 day period will impose an undue hardship, the out-of-state registrant may obtain permission to proceed sooner.

If operating industrial radiography, submit your notice to Erik Skotak by fax at 512-206-3794. For assistance, call Office phone 512-834-6776 or cellphone 512-924-7018.

If you have reciprocity registration questions, contact 737-218-7110.

Conditions of Reciprocity

  • Licensee / registrant is required to notify this Agency three days prior to entering Texas by completing and submitting the appropriate form below:
  • Reciprocity is valid for two years from the month you were granted the authorization. Authorization must be renewed every two years.
  • There is no limit to the number of days you can work in Texas during the year. However, if you establish a permanent location or site in Texas, you will need to apply for a Texas Radioactive Material License or Certificate of Registration.

Contact Information

Radioactive Material Reciprocity

Email: RAM Licensing 
Phone: 512-834-6661 
Fax: 512-834-6690

X-Ray Machine Reciprocity

Email: XRAY registration
Phone: (737) 218-7110
Fax: (512) 206-3787


Email: Jeff Wolfe

Phone: 512-231-5623

Notification of Intent to Work in Texas

Radioactive Material and Industrial Radiography Notifications

Email: Eric Skotak 
Phone: 512-834-6676
Mobile: 512-924-7018
Fax: 512-206-3794

Other X-Ray Machine Notifications

Email: Radiation XRay Inspections 
Phone: 512-834-6770 ext. 2812
Fax: 512-483-3431

Mailing Addresses

Regular Mailing Address:

Radioactive Materials Licensing Group
Texas Department of State Health Services
P. O. Box 149347, Mail Code 2835
Austin, Texas 78714-9347

Last updated April 22, 2022